New to Snowmobiling? Check out these resources.
Beginners tips for snowmobiling
Before you ride
Gear up! One of the keys to having an enjoyable time while riding is having the proper gear. Make sure you have the right boots and gloves to keep your extremities warm. Go to this website to read a good article about choosing the right boots: https://intrepidsnowmobiler.com/snowmobile-boots-buying-tips/
- Look at a map before you head out. Take time to look at the trails and plan your route. You don’t want to be out in the cold looking at maps and trying to decide where to go. Plan your trip in advance.
- Check your machine! Make sure your machine is in good working condition and that it is fueled up.
- Go with a friend and let someone know your plan.
- Although you might not have cell service on the trail a good tip is to put your phone in a ziplock bag and then keep it in an inner layer. You don’t want your phone to freeze or get wet.
- Wear brightly coloured gear. You want to be highly visible while riding.
- Be aware of your surroundings, pay attention to the trail ahead and where the other riders are.
- Take water and snack breaks. You are working hard on the trail, make sure you fuel your body up often.
- Use momentum! It is harder to go in a straight line if you are going slow. Don’t be afraid to use the throttle and pick up a bit of speed.
- Be Confident but don’t take unnecessary risks. Don’t go somewhere that looks dangerous but be confident in yourself. With a bit of practice you will be a professional in no time!
- Be patient with yourself and others. If someone gets stuck or needs help work together to solve the problem. Knowing how to get unstuck is important and it will make you a popular riding buddy.